This is one of the château’s most important apartments, after the sovereigns’ apartments, and was created in 1804 by connecting two adjoining apartments built onto the main body of existing adjoining buildings.
This was formerly the Queen Mothers’ apartment after the widowed Anne of Austria retired there, and its older section is located into the 16th century wing. Its newer section extends into the adjoining spaces of the Grand Pavilion built by Gabriel in 1750. Named after the two visits which Pius VII made to it in 1804 and 1812-1814, it retains the title of Papal Apartment, although today the only remaining relic from this era is the portrait of him by David which hangs on the wall. The opulence of the décor and the quality of its furnishings are evidence of Napoleon III and Eugenie’s refined but eclectic tastes ; they redecorated the rooms in the 1860s, whilst retaining the remarkable ceilings of the former chamber of Henry II and that of Anne of Austria.