The Grand Parterre is the largest formal garden in Europe, created between 1660 and 1664 by André Le Nôtre and Louis Le Vau. It was Louis XIV’s greatest architectural achievement at Fontainebleau. The original intricate box hedge work in this French-style formal garden disappeared under Louis XV. The overall layout of the herb gardens remains, as do the water features ornamented with statues, such as the Bassin des Cascades (17th and 19th centuries), which faces east towards the Canal d’Henri IV. To the south, on the forest side, the round ornamental lake is overlooked by a statue of Tiberinus.